1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 3 position drophead coupe

 

The Forgotten Engine - click the icon to find out more !


Page index :-

Basic data

General description

Mechanical

History

 

 

Click on thumbnail images for full pictures

Return to home page


Basic data

Year manufactured........ : 1933Click - 59kb image

Chassis number............. : GGA27

Engine number............... : E8L

Engine type..................... : Straight 6 - 3587cc - 25hp

Coach builder................. : Lamorna

Registration number....... : AUW577

Body style......................... : 3 position drop head coupe

Body colours..................... : Black over burgundy with gold coachlines

Interior................................ : Tan leather

Asking price........................ : 69,500

Back to the top

General description

ExteriorClick - 3x images of 50,53 & 61kb

The car was re-bodied in 1988 to a design influenced by HR Owen: all ash framing and aluminium panel work is new as of that date. The paint work is in very good condition, though not to concourse standard due to the vehicle’s regular use. The hood is made from mohair with a small rectangular window in the rear. Hinged external pram-irons hold the rear section in tension assisted by 4 external and 4 internal Durable Dot fasteners on each side. It can be erected in three positions - fully closed, front section open and fully open. All body shut lines are correct with no evidence of sagging on either door. Both doors are fitted with external key operated dead-bolt locks. The front lamps have been modified to give dipped beam through the Lucas P80s and main beam via the Cibies. Brake lights and flashing indicators were added to the car in 1989 to improve driving safety. The car retains trafficators and the flashers are easily de-mounted. One reversing light and one high intensity rear light have been mounted discretely beneath the spare wheel. The exterior boot box is side opening; locks and catches being located on the nearside.

InteriorClick - 63kb image

Woodwork is in mahogany with black detail lines. Upholstery and door linings are in tan hide, all being in first class order. Door bottoms and the bottom rear sections of the front seats are covered in oatmeal carpet to avoid damage to the leather work. Floor covering is in fitted coir matting which is far more effective in this style of body. Both front seats are mounted on sliding runners that give a full range of adjustment as well as allowing access to the rear compartment. The back of the rear seat is bottom-hinged to give access to a reasonably large storage compartment . The inside of the hood is lined in beige woollen cloth with a courtesy light mounted in the forward head rail. Forward location of the hood onto the windscreen is by two spring-loaded pins that locate in pegs on top of the A posts. The hood is completely weatherproof when erected. The original dash board instruments and switches are all present and working. Out of sight, beneath the scuttle rail at the base of the windscreen, are the switches for the overdrive and reversing/high intensity rear lights. Warning lights are recessed into the face of the scuttle rail. A heater and de-mister is mounted behind the dashboard with a fan control rheostat at the base of the dash.

Back to the top

MechanicalClick - 2 x 86kb images

This is possibly the best running 20/25 in existence. The water temperature operates between 70C and 80C with a hot running oil pressure of 20psi at 50mph (factory specification was 18psi) - tick-over at 10psi. In 1988, during its initial rebuild, its original engine was re-sleeved back to standard specification, having new pistons and bearings fitted. During the last 10 years the car has undergone a complete mechanical overhaul.

The following list summarises the restoration work :-

Radiator re-cored and new calorstat fitted
Engine rebuilt with new big ends - water jacket cleaned out
Head replaced with full conversion to unleaded
Water pump, dynamo and magneto rebuilt
Starter motor and starter clutch overhauled
Carburettor, Autovac and distributor overhauled
Steering box and column rebuilt
Front axle, brake levers, A brackets re bushed and swivel pins rebuilt
Front and rear brakes rebuilt - rear brakes relined in 1999. All wheel bearings replaced
Gearbox rebuilt with new bearings
Overdrive unit fitted - operates on 3rd and 4th gears with automatic de-selection when changing into second/neutral.
The original propeller shaft, though not fitted, has had the Hook joints rebuilt.
Rear axle differential stripped and checked
One-shot system completely overhauled
Stainless steel exhaust system was fitted in 1997
Rear spring rear shackle pins and bushes replaced in 2001

Back to the top

HistoryClick - 97kb image & stories

The car was originally ordered via Joseph Cockshoot & Co. Ltd, of Manchester, by Alexander & Garner Ltd on behalf of Miss Deakin of Egerton, Bolton. The original order was for an enclosed limousine by Barker & Co.. Factory records show that it was sold on 30th December 1947 and again on 9th December 1949; after which the trail stops. Two unnamed owners are noted on the log book between November 1983 and 1988. Richard W Blake of Lamorna Restorations, Cornwall, who rebuilt the car, acquired it on 20th January 1988. By that time it was in a parlous state, having had the roof cut off to make an ‘open’ car. Following restoration, the car was featured at the International Classic Car Show at Alexandra Palace in April 1989 and was the subject of a half page feature in The Daily Telegraph on 1st May 1989.

The pinnacle of its achievements was to complete LeJOG in December 1997 and December 1999 without breakdown. In 1997 the car was awarded the Concourse prize for the touring event! On both occasions the car covered over 2,400 miles in 8 days including daily averages of 400 miles during the 3 days of the event - mainly on B and unclassified roads.

Back to the top

 


Return to home page